Published on April 13th, 2012 | by Ben Quy0
What you need to know to play The Witcher 2
With the The Witcher 2 coming out on the Xbox 360 in little over a week and me sitting here salivating at thought of getting my hands on it, I was suddenly left with a startling revelation. I had not played the original Witcher! Although developer CD Projekt have stated that sequel stands on it own, being the stickler I am I had to find out what was what. So I’ve made this little compendium piece that should explain not only what a Witcher and what happened in the first game, maybe it will have a few tips and tricks as well to give people a helping hand along the way.
What is a Witcher?
A Witcher is a human that was kidnapped as a child. They are then subjected to the ingestion of potions & chemicals and trained to fight monsters. They were also trained in such a way that their emotions a subdued so that feelings do not get in the way of the fight. This has led them to be feared of by the common folk as heartless beasts. Here is a brief video that was released which will probably explain better than my little sum up just did.
What happened in The Witcher?
I know nothing about the first game because I have not played it, but this video, posted up by devs CD Projekt, is probably the best thing to explain what happened to you.
Tips and tricks
I have trawled the internet and scrapped together the best information to prepare you for The Witcher 2 in these handy bullet points:
- Save often, this game is hard, not quite Dark Souls hard, but still pretty damn tough. Witcher 2 can be very punishing so save yourself the anguish and keep saving
- Keep moving in combat, do not stand still waiting to be hit. Keep moving and keep rolling.
- Don’t just try to hack and slash through this game. Make use of your potions & magic, you have them for a reason.
- Combat is very deep in the Witcher. Parrying, riposte & flanking all play a part. Make sure you learn to use all these correctly
- Do the side quests and mini-games. They are great source of money to buy that high-end gear.
- Preparation is essential! Even if its applying insect poison to your sword to fight spiders. Knowing your enemies helps a lot.